This took less than 15 minutes to get ready right before heading out to watch The Minions on saturday night, including taking the food out of the grocery bags and freezer and packing everything away after.
- 1 large spring onion (the onion part was decent-sized). I could have used regular onion, but I like the flavour the green parts add. And this is what I had in the fridge.
- 1 packet of chicken breasts.
- half a packet of carrefour frozen mixed mushrooms (maybe 100 grams?) or any frozen mushroom mix. This was a mix that includes shitake and other varieties.
- Frozen artichokes (again, I just grabbed carrefour brand. Frozen veggies are my salvation on busy days and there’s never too much frozen veg). I have no idea how much I used. I just added until I thought “that’s enough”.
- 1/4 can of coconut milk. Really, just the thick creamy part of the top of the unshaken can + a little milk. You could use regular creme fresh, or sour cream, though.
- a good shake of apple cider vinegar.
- 1 teaspoon of dijon mustard (I would have added more, but that’s all we had left in the bottle. I’m happy with the result as it is, where you don’t taste it but it has flavour)
- I didn’t have garlic so used a liberal shaking of dried garlic granules, but would always prefer real garlic.
- herbs de Provence
- a small bay leaf
- olive oil
- 1/2 chicken stock cube (I used my home made paste)
- 100 ml boiled water
- Frozen peas
Method: brush inside of slow cooker with olive oil & start the kettle. Put sliced onions (green and white parts) on the bottom of slow cooker(if using real garlic, put that in now too), put chicken on top of that as evenly as space allows. On top of that, add the coconut cream and milk. Add boiled water. Stir in the mustard & chicken stock cube. Add bayleaf. Shake on herbs & garlic, add vinegar. Bang bag of peas on the counter to loosen up the frozen peas and dump in (as much as you think looks fine. I like a lot). Put on the lid and cook for 4:30 hours on high (because of the frozen veggies).
Before serving, I shredded the chicken with a fork. You could cut the chicken breasts before adding to the crock pot, but since I was running late, this was fine, and I like the shredded texture.
I recommend serving with rice or mashed potatoes to absorb the creamy goodness.